The Ikon and Rekon Combo

My Mukluk's 29er wheelset has been a bit of a weird spot for me. I got a Stan's Flow wheelset with 29mm internal diameter. They advertise it as capable of running 2.35" to 2.8" tires. My first tire was the Maxxis Aggressor - 2.5", right in the middle. It worked well, but it was a somewhat heavy and aggressive tire for the riding I do. Next up, I tried the Terrene McFly tires. Unfortunately, the Flow rims don't really work on 2.8" tires, and I experienced quite a bit of squirm and self-steer - typical problems with too much tire on too little rim.

The next set I'm trying is the Maxxis Ikon and Rekon combo. I got the Ikon 2.35" for the rear tire, and the Rekon 2.6" tire for the front. These tires feature frequently on the Tour Divide, and I anticipate that they'll handle the bikepacking and adventuring I like to do. I'm also intrigued to see how they handle dirt and singletrack.

I've put about 40 miles on these tires on a mix of pavement, dirt/gravel, and easy XC singletrack so far. They do the job really well on these surfaces so far.

It's been a few months since installing them, and I haven't done that much riding with them. I've put another hundred or so miles on them, and I think they're pretty great.

The Ikon measures out to 2.43" on the i29 rim, and the Rekon measures out to 2.54". Barely a size difference. Who ever heard of a Maxxis tire measuring out larger than it's listed width? I guess 29mm is a wide rim for these.

The Rekon offers supreme cornering and steering confidence in loose, sandy gravel. The Ikon sticks in great and has no problem pushing up a steep bit. Going for the Ikon up front would give me a bit lighter and faster ride, but it'd make riding some of the sketchier fire roads a lot less comfortable.

UPDATE (Oct 7 2019): These tires are stupid awesome. Fantastic adventure cycling tire if you want something a bit beefier than the typical Ikon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jamis Bike Comparison: Coda vs Sequel vs Renegade

Lezyne Mega XL GPS vs Wahoo Elemnt Bolt

Drop Bar Conversions